Re: export/import directly from tape drive?

From: David Crowson <zdxc0d_at_amoco.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 1994 03:22:10 CST

In article jr0_at_scapa.cs.ualberta.ca, hannigan_at_cs.ualberta.ca (Barry Hannigan; EdTel) writes:
-->ag831_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Denis Langlais) writes:
-->
-->>In a previous article, mellis_at_ramcad.pica.army.mil (Mark Ellis) says:
-->
-->>>
-->>>
-->>>Anyone have any tips/techniques on doing exports/imports directly
-->>>to & from a DAT tape drive under UNIX?
[chomp]
-->
-->>Basically export with file=/dev/rmt/xxxyyyzzz
-->
-->you would be advised not to. you will be unable to import from tape. in order
-->to retrieve information from a tape exported export, you must copy the tape to
-->disk and then import from the copy. also, the file cannot be named FOO as imp
-->will whine about not being able to find file FOO.dmp
-->
-->architecture is HP 9000/887, v9.04 HPUX , Oracle 7.0.15, dbsize 10G

S'funny , we export/import to and from tapes often. You can use file=/dev/tapedevice as long as you don't specify a filename..just the device name.

When you import you do the same and it works ok.

We do this from a Sparc 690 with an NPI 50 Gbyte RAID array and 7-8 databases totalling around 35 Gbytes...it's the only way we can use export/import of a full instance..it just won't fit anywhere other than on a tape.

---
David Crowson   =%^)   |"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go.
Oracle DBA(Ver.4,5,6,7)| I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to
Amoco Exploration      | move, to get down off this featherbed of civilisation
Ealing, London         | and to find the globe granite underneath and strewn
"My views not Amoex's" | with cutting flints" : Robert Louis Stevenson