Re: Oracle access trough Excel

From: Troy Tinnes <Q10641_at_paccvm.corp.mot.com>
Date: 18 Mar 1994 07:23:55 HKT

  • Original Article ------------------------- Path: schbbs!mothost!ftpbox!news.acns.nwu.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle Subject: Re: Oracle access trough Excel Message-ID: <jnovak.23.000EECC3_at_dqc.dofasco.ca> From: jnovak_at_dqc.dofasco.ca (John Novak) Date: Wed, 9 Mar 1994 14:55:23 References: <2lb5r9$c87_at_Tandem.CAM.ORG> Organization: Dofasco Inc. Summary: Reaching Oracle database trough Microsoft Excel Nntp-Posting-Host: 142.153.64.4 X-Newsreader: Trumpet for Windows [Version 1.0 Rev Final Beta #11] Lines: 71

In article <2lb5r9$c87_at_Tandem.CAM.ORG> martin_at_CAM.ORG (Martin Carmichael) writes
>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>Subject: Oracle access trough Excel
>From: martin_at_CAM.ORG (Martin Carmichael)
>Date: 5 Mar 94 23:50:01 GMT

>Hello.

>MS-Windows spreadsheets like Excel or Lotus 123.

>Can somebody tell me wich way should I go? (How to do it?)

>The Oracle system 6.0 server is on a VAX/VMS 5.5 machine.
>The PC's can talk to them via DECnet. I believe SQL*net is a part
>of the puzzle.

>Is Microsoft ACCESS an alternative ?

>Thanks all.

If you don't have a lot of money to spend then you might want to consider this: run your oracle system via telnet from your PC, get your system admin to allow appleshare (or the dos equivalent) to your home directory on the Oracle server machine, and learn the reportwriter application or have standard reports available.After this, you can throw away the Xterm because now, the PC in effect is doing everything and more than the Xterm did! For the system I work with here, I too went and bought all the fancy software like SQL*Net and an Q+E equivalent, however in most cases I found that the users still wanted a standard set of reports available using Q+E - most of which were already available on the server! As well I have found that these query products are somewhat slow over our network - this method proved to be much faster.For those people who are still keen on making their own one-off reports, give them access to sqlplus or reportwriter.
The only other thing you need to set up are the PC keyboard mappings within Oracle's CRT.

Regards,
Troy.

J. Troy Tinnes                            Tel: 81-6-586-3937
Database Administrator                    Fax: 81-6-586-3962
Osaka Cellular Support Centeremail: tinnes_at_cig.nml.mot.com
Nippon Motorola                           X.400: jp0008_at_email
Osaka, Japan