ACCESS vs Client Software

From: Chi-Cheong Weng <weng_at_leland.Stanford.EDU>
Date: 21 Feb 1994 01:54:37 GMT

My company is trying to build a client sever database system. We are considering to use Sybase or Oracle 7 ( running on a 486 ) as the server and use ACCESS as client because the client software of Oracle or Sybase it just too expensive if there are many clients.

If we choose ACCESS ( ODBC enabled ) as the client , will there be any disvandages ? I know the performance will be a problem if we are always trying to return a whole table from the server to the client. But why is it so ? What else problem will there be ?

Should I use Novell or NT as our network software ? ( What is the trade-off ? )

Thanks. Please email to weng_at_leland.stanford.edu Received on Mon Feb 21 1994 - 02:54:37 CET

Original text of this message