Re: How to unload Oracle in ASCII flat fil

From: Tony Scott <asc_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 1994 18:35:44 GMT

Anonymous wrote:
> I'm sorry, but I can't stand to see another unqualified recommendation
> for SQR.
>
> SQR is an OK product in it's own right, but it is not a replacement for
> ReportWriter 2.0 (or 1.1?) -
> it does not and probably never will support device independent glitz (ie
> fonts, graphics, etc) without
> much pain. Besides which, since it was purchased by SYBASE (!) Oracle
> sites have gotten dumped
> on as far as support and updates!!! One site was told that they
> couldn't get updates to their EZ-SQR
> on the DG AViiON, VMS sites were sold to some company called MITI to get
> their support and
> updates - and from first hand experience - which is like no support at
> all!
>
> So, if it does what you need, on your platform, and you don't expect a
> lot from their support, and maybe
> never get any updates - then fine!
>
> I've said enough!
>
> A disgruntled ex-user!
That's very interesting and I don't doubt it for a single second. I have always told my users/customers to be careful about 3rd party products from small firms (one would not worry for instance about front-ending oracle with Microsoft Access from that point of view).

It would have been very nice if you were identified a something other than "Anonymous" and "A disgruntled ex-user". Any chance of some enlightenment?

Tony Scott
(asc_at_cix.compulink.co.uk) Received on Sat Feb 19 1994 - 19:35:44 CET

Original text of this message