Re: How to unload Oracle in ASCII flat fil

From: L. Carl Pedersen <l.carl.pedersen_at_dartmouth.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 1994 13:42:51 -0500

In article mpu_at_reeve.research.aa.wl.com, ditommm_at_aa.wl.com writes:

>> Hi everybody.
>>
>> I am new to this group so excuse me if you already discussed this issue.
>>
>> Our project needs to Unload a good amount of data from Oracle database.
>> The data should be in a classic flat file format with fixed length ASCII
>> records.
>> Do you know any good tool(s) to do it. I tried select * with various options,
>> but it is very slow. And apparently Oracle does not provide tools for it.
>> Their Export/Import facility creates a flat file in a very special format
>> which cannot be readable by a non-Oracle application.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Vladimir.

If SELECT * is slow, then any tool will be slow, since the tool will need to SELECT to get the data out of ORACLE.

You need to do a bunch of SETs in SQL*Plus to get rid of all the formatting.

We do this all the time and I've never had any trouble. Send me email if you have specific questions. Received on Fri Feb 18 1994 - 19:42:51 CET

Original text of this message