Looking for Info on VLDBs

From: Mike Kokot <mkokot01_at_cps.plnin.gmeds.com>
Date: 17 Feb 1994 14:28:43 GMT

I have been reading this News Group for the last couple of months and I have seen very little discussion in the area of VLDBs (Very Large Data Base).

I would like to hear from any Oracle production sites running on Unix boxes. For conversation purposes lets say VLDBs are data bases with 30 Gbytes or more data.

  • What version of Oracle and O/S are you running?
  • How long has this system been running?
  • Is your data base distributed?
  • Do you use replication and or 2-phase commit?
  • How many concurrent users are supported?
  • Are you using an OLTP (on-line transaction processing) product?
  • What types of problems have you had with networking, security, backups or any other area concerning the DBMS?

More specifically I would like to here about any sites that have been able to run Oracle on an SMP (symmetric multiprocessing) box with a over 100 Gbytes of data.

I realize these questions may cover to much information for a short answer, however I would still appreciate any responses.

Thanks in advance!

Michael Kokot Internet: mkokot01_at_sun.cps.plnin.gmeds.com