Re: How to unload Oracle in ASCII flat files?

From: <ditommm_at_aa.wl.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 07:45:30 EST

> Hi everybody.
>
> I am new to this group so excuse me if you already discussed this issue.
>
> Our project needs to Unload a good amount of data from Oracle database.
> The data should be in a classic flat file format with fixed length ASCII
> records.
> Do you know any good tool(s) to do it. I tried select * with various options,
> but it is very slow. And apparently Oracle does not provide tools for it.
> Their Export/Import facility creates a flat file in a very special format
> which cannot be readable by a non-Oracle application.
>
> Thanks.
> Vladimir.

You are struck with sqlplus:

set termout off;
set verify off;
set feedback off;
spool file.lis
select field1, field2
  from table1
 where field1 = 'Value1';
spool off;
exit;

You could alway write a short PRO-C program to do the unload for you - but I am not sure that it would be any faster.

Matteo diTommaso                       |
ditommm_at_aa.wl.com                      |
(313) 996-7148                         |   This space for rent.
The usual disclainers apply.           |