Re: Q: Config info for Oracle on PC

From: Paul Berger <pberger_at_nic.hookup.net>
Date: 14 Feb 1994 14:05:49 -0500

In article <CL5uMp.D6w_at_uk.ac.brookes>, Steve Corbett <p0070623_at_oxford-brookes.ac.uk> wrote:
>Any general advice on *developing* Oracle apps on a *standalone* PC?
>For eg Oracle V6, Forms3, SqlMenu V5
> " V7, " 4, CDE
>Minimum RAM, Desirable RAM?
>O/S: DOS, O/S2, U**x ?
>Windows 3.1: ?
>Disk space requirements for Oracle toolkit: ?
>Cost of Oracle: ?
>Oracle corporation commitment to this environment: ?
>
>We are talking about development only, apps will be run on something
>more substantial.
>
>Any real life experiences/advice welcome.
>Will summarise if parties interested.

Here's our standalone environment:

OS/2 2.1 running on IBM PS/2's 77 with 400MB disk, 16 MB ram.

We use Oracle7 Database for OS/2 (standalone) with Forms 4.0.12 and SQL*VDM. SQL*VDM allows the CDE tools to operate in windows 3.1 and "talk" to the database running native, as a 32 bit app, within OS/2. The toolset products are hugh...very big indeed. Their power is remarkable though. Once your past the set up and install issues, the environment is quit nice. (Forms has a few chinks in it but it is pretty good.)

Oracle better be committed to these environments or we are out of business. PB Received on Mon Feb 14 1994 - 20:05:49 CET

Original text of this message