Re: Editor for Forms 3.0

From: Jennifer R. Amon <bamon_at_ocvaxc.cc.oberlin.edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 1994 13:06:39 -0500

In article <toddh.760802109_at_morgan>, toddh_at_morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Todd Hickey) wrote:

> We are completely fed up with the edit_field offered in Forms 3.0. Does
> anyone out there know of any alternate editors for Forms 3.0, maybe in a
> user exit format?? I know that this is taken care of in Oracle*Forms
> 4.0, but we will not be moving there for some time.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We store multi-line text in numbered rows in the database, and use a userexit to suck them into a file. Then the user is dropped into his/her favorite VAX editor and after the user exits from the editor, the file is read to stick the numbered lines back into the database.

We are facing the problem, however, of moving to client/server technology, where this won't work the same way. A userexit on a Mac will do things on the Mac, not on the VAX, and the same with a Windows machine. So, we will have to run a different userexit for each platform we support, or come up with some other method to handle this.

I'd like to hear what others are doing with this.

Jennifer R. Amon            PHONE: (216) 775-6987
Houck Computing Center        FAX: (216) 775-8573
Oberlin College
Oberlin, OH 44074        INTERNET: bamon_at_ocvaxc.cc.oberlin.edu