Re: SQL*Forms Numeric Format Masks

From: Diana Tracy <bs794_at_cleveland.Freenet.Edu>
Date: 4 Feb 1994 18:25:02 GMT

In a previous article, bamon_at_ocvaxc.cc.oberlin.edu (Jennifer R. Amon) says:

>I must be really stupid:
>
>If I specify a number field to have a display length less than the
>actual maximum length of the field, AND I use a format mask, the
>displayed value is truncated on the RIGHT instead of the left. Has
>anyone found a way around this?
>
> DEFINE FIELD
>
> NAME = ESTIMATED_OIG
> DATATYPE = NUMBER
> LENGTH = 10
> DISPLAY_LENGTH = 9
> QUERY_LENGTH = 10
> PAGE = 4
> LINE = 10
> COLUMN = 11
> HELP = Enter value for : ESTIMATED_OIG
> INPUT_MASK = 9,999,990
> OUTPUT_MASK = 9,999,990
>
> ENDDEFINE FIELD
>

>Enter 1234, and you see 1,23 right-justified in the field.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
> Jennifer

>Jennifer R. Amon PHONE: (216) 775-6987
>Houck Computing Center FAX: (216) 775-8573
>Oberlin College
>Oberlin, OH 44074 INTERNET: bamon_at_ocvaxc.cc.oberlin.edu

The problem is that you left no room for a negative sign. Either make the display length 10, or the mask shorter. I don't think that the value is actually truncated. If you press the right arrow, you can probably see 1,234.

--
Diana Tracy, System Designer		-- Excitement, Adventure
bs794_at_cleveland.Freenet.Edu		-- and Really Wild Things