Re: Embedded SQL vs OCI

From: David Clement <clement1_at_llnl.gov>
Date: 2 Feb 1994 20:24:41 GMT

In article <2ioepe$ke3_at_meaddata.meaddata.com>, darin_at_meaddata.com (Darin McBeath) wrote:

> I am beginning to write applications in Oracle and have a very simple
> question. In terms of performance, is it better to write a C application
> in embedded SQL or OCI.
>
> Thanks.

The question has been addressed before in this newsgroup. The consensus seemed to be in favor of OCI, so far as I could tell.

Reasons mentioned, aside from performance, were:

  • size of resulting executable (OCI was said to be smaller);
  • maintainability of code (Pro*C generates a .c source file, intermediate between the .pc and the .o, which greatly complicates debugging, for example)

David Clement || Geyr Garmr mjok fyr Gnipahellu. clement1_at_llnl.gov || Festr mun slitna, enn freki renna.