ODBC,ORACLE,DECNET

From: Arto Kujala <aku_at_tik.vtt.fi>
Date: 21 Jan 1994 13:13:28 GMT

Is there someone else using the following architecture: Visual Basic and/or Access (in win 3.1) <-> ODBC <->
SQL*NET for DOS/DECNET 1.2.10.6 <->
DECNET (Pathworks v 4.1) <->
Oracle 6 server in a VMS or OpenVMS machine ?

Some help is needed now.

Connection to the Oracle breaks 1-2 times a day. Usually when updating/inserting, but also sometimes when querying some data. Sometimes GPF is produced shortly after. Sometimes after restarting windows everything goes fine. Sometimes the PC must be booted.

The possible source of problems is SQL*NET DOS/DECNET. It requires that windows should be run in standard mode, but ODBC (the oracle driver?) seem not to work in standard mode. So I run windows in enchanged mode.

Is there somewhere ODBC-drivers that run in standard mode?

We are moving to Oracle 7 in summer. I have heard, that when having Oracle 7 server, one could use DLL-based (Windows) SQLNET for DECNET. Is there anybody who has experiences of this?

Why can not DLL-based SQLNET be run with Oracle 6? I have used DLL-based SQLNET/TCPIP and it works with Oracle 6 ( in a HP Unix) fine.

Other advice?

Known problems with Pathworks + Windows?

--Arto Kujala Received on Fri Jan 21 1994 - 14:13:28 CET

Original text of this message