Long LONG's in Oracle7

From: Martin Jensen <mj_at_dde.dk>
Date: 18 Jan 94 07:30:47 GMT

Running Oracle 7.0.16.2

Having tried the 'oflng' OCI rutine to fetch chunks of a long LONG from the current row of my cursor.
It is a very interesting interesting mechanism to us since we do not know in advance the macimum sice of a particular LONG field. The mechanism works fine, although it would be nice to have the same possibility from PRO*C.

My question is: How do I insert the long LONG value in the first place? There is now corresponding rutine to insert long values by chunks, or am I restricted by the largest possible piece of data I can allocate on my Unix system?
And somehow Oracle must have solved this, how would they otherwise have implemented the import or SQL*Loader utility?

--
Martin Jensen,  Dansk Data Elektronik A/S, Herlev, Denmark
E-mail:      ..!uunet!mcvax!dkuug!dde!mj  or  mj_at_dde.DK