Re: Oracle 7.0: Case insensitive string comparisons?

From: David E. Scheim <des_at_helix.nih.gov>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 1994 14:23:42 GMT

>That's what you get for using a no-name database like Oracle :-).
>Of course, high end databases like SQLBase allow such things.
>--
>Chris Jack

I'm sure there must be a neat solution to this problem which an expert in Oracle can point out. In Sybase or its PC implementation, MS SQL Server, one can define all character strings to be stored case sensitive but searched case insensitive, as an option at installation. Most of our fields are character strings we wish to store/search in this fashion, and I could not conceive of operating our system without such automatic case handling capability. -- David Scheim

/*                      --- David E. Scheim ---                      */
/* BITNET: none                                                      */
/* INTERNET: des_at_helix.nih.gov           PHONE: 301 496-2194         */
/* CompuServe: 73750,3305                  FAX: 301 402-1065         */
/* DISCLAIMER: These comments are offered to share knowledge based   */
/*   upon my personal views.  They do not represent the positions    */
/*   of my employer.                                                 */