Re: Distributed Replication

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_helios.unl.edu>
Date: 12 Jan 1994 21:39:45 GMT

dagmar_at_indian.mitre.org (Dagmar A. Bogan) writes:

>Unfortunatly, I don't know enough about this subject to frame the question
>properly, but I was asked to find out if version 7.1 supports distributed
>replication similar to Sybase's Replication Server. Thanx.

I don't know enough about Sybase to know how it compares, but 7.1 includes the following features:

Compliance with the ANSI SQL92 standard (Entry Level) User-Extensible SQL
Parallel operations (Query, Index creation, Data loading) Read-only Tablespaces
Update Anywhere Data Replication

According to the latest 'Oracle' magazine, Update Anywhere 'automatically maintains copies of the same data on multiple distributed servers. This facility allows applications to direclty update any of the copies with industry-standard SQL.'

However, the 'Statement of Direction' on 7.1 dated last summer states that the Update Anywhere feature was not going to be available in the initial production release of 7.1, but would be available in 'a future release'. There is supposed to be a forthcoming Statement of Direction on this.

---
Michael Nolan, Sysop for the DBMS RoundTable on GEnie
nolan_at_notes.tssi.com, dbms_at_genie.geis.com
(posted from nolan_at_helios.unl.edu)