Re: OCI vs. Pro*C

From: Michael P. Stein <mstein_at_access3.digex.net>
Date: 9 Jan 1994 19:55:05 -0500

Bruce MacDonald <Bruce_MacDonald_at_mindlink.bc.ca> wrote:
>Why would you NOT want to use Pro*C? The OCI calls are quite low-level.
>Using Pro*C just saves a lot of grunt work.

    I find Pro*C easier for static SQL, but for fully dynamic SQL (especially Pro*C "Method 4") I find OCI easier.

    Also, we are using an unsupported Ada compiler, so Pro*C was not an option - I had to write my own OCI bindings. (I see Bruce is from Canada, so this wouldn't be a consideration. I'm working on a contract for the US DoD, and the official policy when we started this was that all new software development would be Ada.)

--
Mike Stein			The above represents the Absolute Truth.
POB 10420			Therefore it cannot possibly be the official