Re: Net Bandwith: X-Server vs PC Client/Server

From: Keith Warren Rickert <rickert_at_cco.caltech.edu>
Date: 9 Jan 1994 22:40:23 GMT

In <SBCHANIN.94Jan9162215_at_raisin-nut.ai.mit.edu> sbchanin_at_ai.mit.edu (Steve Chanin) writes:

>I am trying to choose between two architectures for a project:
>1) "Standard Client/Server"
> PC ----------------------- LAN or WAN ---------------- Relational DB
> (Powerbuilder) (Sybase/Oracle)

>2) "Application Server"
> PC ---- LAN or WAN ------ UNIX application server --- LAN --- Relational DB
> (running an X server) (running the App in Motif) (Sybase/Oracle)

>THE QUESTION IS WHICH ARCHITECTURE HAS LOWER BANDWIDTH REQUIREMENTS TO THE
>PC'S?

>In the first architecture, the application is written on the PC. All data
>has to move from the DB across the LAN/WAN to the PC. All display is handled
>on the PC (TRAFFICE = DATA). In the second architecture, the data stops
>at the application server, only display information for X (Motif) needs to
>move across to the PC (TRAFFIC = DISPLAY).

>Does anyone have information on how these two architectures will compare with
>respect to bandwidth requirements?

Unless your client does a _lot_ of its own processing, and thus needs to move a lot of data with little change in the display, the X client will almost certainly have higher bandwidth usage. There are good reasons for using X11 (such as, in this case, being able to use your application on a wider variety of platforms), but lowering bandwidth isnt really one of them.

just MHO

Keith

--
Keith Rickert            | "That was only one of the many occasions on which
rickert_at_cco.caltech.edu  | I met my death - an experience I don't hesitate