Corrections for daylight savings time changes

From: Hugh Fraser <hfraser_at_dqc.dofasco.ca>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 1994 13:25:08

Does Oracle provide any mechaism for adjusting date/time data for our semi-annual change to and from daylight savings time? The problem occurs when data timestamped with wall-clock time needs to be averaged, for instance, over a one hour period straddling the shift. When our wall clocks are corrected for the shift, we'll either get no data for that one hour period, or two hours worth. Worse still, if time is an index into the tables, we'll run the risk of having duplicate keys.

A suggestion was made to have the clients convert time to and from GMT and always store the time in Oracle as GMT. I'd rather centralize that intelligence in the database instead of the clients since many of our clients will be simple query tools (Access, Excel, Forest&Trees) in the hands of end users. Suggestions? Received on Fri Jan 07 1994 - 13:25:08 CET

Original text of this message