Re: Oracle 7 Shutdown Procedures

From: Clay Jackson <cjackso_at_uswnvg.com>
Date: 5 Jan 94 21:40:12 GMT

R Scott Hunter (RSHUNTER_at_delphi.com) wrote:
: Are you running Oracle under UNIX? One problem we found that I haven't
: opened a TAR yet with California is that Oracle 7, running under UNIX
: on our NCR 3550, doesn't seem to startup or shutdown properly if the
: sqldba _at_startup_script is called from within the UNIX /rc init
: script sequences for multiuser (init state 2) or shutdown (init state 0).
: SQLDBA aborts with a segmentation failure and leaves Oracle 7 in whatever
: state it was prior to being invoked. SQLDBA when called from UNIX at,
: cron, or interactively works just fine for V7. (We have three V6 instances,
: one V7 development/test instance, and a V7.1 development/test instance
: running on this machine.) Oracle V6 shutdown works okay inside an init
: sequence.

Hmmmm - haven't seen that here with 7.0.15 on a Sequent.

: I haven't set up any fancy scripts yet for startup/shutdown; a complication
: is that we are in a mixed UNIX and client/server environment, and the
: client/server sessions wouldn't receive any sort of warning messages
: that were sent out. Most of our problems have been due to people opening
: an Oracle connection on their workstation and then forgetting to close it.
: This interferes with the Oracle shutdown process, and that has caused our
: 3550 to hang when it tries to shut down; I've rewritten our Oracle
: management scripts to use shutdown abort, finally, because of this.
My take on this is that shutdown abort is a "bad thing". I know you're gonna do instance recovery when you come back up, which can take a while, and is never a good thing to do on a routine basis. We use "shutdown immediate" and have never had any problems. As far as warning users, we try to do that on UNPLANNED shutdowns, but for things like backups or scheduled outages, when we're down, we're down. We have a script that grunges a 'ps' and kills all of the server processes that we run AFTER Oracle is shut down, but that's just to clean things up a bit.

--
Clay Jackson - N7QNM
US WEST NewVector Group Inc