Re: [HELP]: Large cursor updates

From: Steve Corbett <p0070623_at_oxford-brookes.ac.uk>
Date: 5 Jan 1994 05:34:36 -0600

Neil Greene (neil_at_kynug.org) wrote:
: I have a cursor that scans a table of approximatly 10,000 records and does
: various inserts to a table based on what it finds. When the same cursor
: is run on a select statement that finds a smaller selection of records,
: say 100-1,000, everything seems to complete quickly and properly.
: However, cursors that have a larger found set appear to hang.

: What can be causing this? What should I be looking for? What is causing
: the cursor the hang or appear not to complete? Are there some dba init
: parameters I should be setting to optimize the cursor?

I have had similiar problems to this, which have been logged with Oracle. basically it depends on the versions you are using... For instance RDBMS 6.0.32.3.2 and

             PL/SQL 1.0.32.3.1 and
             Forms 3.0.16.4.1 will

give you a hanging problem that can be got round by increasing the dba parameter for maximum open cursors, but with 10,000 rows may still not solve it. The problem disappears with a combination of -
             RDBMS 6.0.36.4.1 and
             PL/SQL 1.0.35.1.1 and
             Forms 3.0.16.11.1

my assumption, if i remember correctly, was that a new cursor was being opened incorrectly in the earlier versions each time it was used whereas the later versions realised that it did not need re-parsing.
--
Steve Corbett.                        vvv
                                     [. .]