How to create a NEW Oracle database??

From: Robert L. Manieri <rmanieri_at_novalink.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 94 08:13:06 EST

> I am very new to Oracle and I need to create a new database.
> Could someone please instruct me on the steps needed to do this?
> I am working with Oracle7 without much documentation or experience.
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Doug

Doug:
Attached is a create script I used recently. If it doesn't come thru cleanly send me a private email and I'll resend it. Bob
.
spool creaover.err
set echo on
connect internal
shutdown abort
startup nomount pfile=$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/initOVER.cre create database OVER

       maxinstances 1
       maxlogfiles  16
       maxdatafiles 1022
       character set "US7ASCII"
       controlfile reuse
       datafile '/usr5/ORACLE/OVER/system_a.dbf' size 25M reuse
       logfile  '/usr5/ORACLE/OVER/log1OVER.dbf' size 1M reuse ,
                '/usr5/ORACLE/OVER/log2OVER.dbf' size 1M reuse ,
                '/usr5/ORACLE/OVER/log3OVER.dbf' size 1M reuse ;
rem exit
set termout off
_at_$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catalog.sql
_at_$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catexp.sql
_at_$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catproc.sql
rem
rem ====================================================================
rem Create a temporary rollback segment
rem ====================================================================
create rollback segment temp ;
rem
rem ====================================================================
rem Now shutdown the database and come back up with the TEMP rollback segment.
rem

shutdown immediate
startup open OVER pfile=$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/initOVER.tmp rem
rem

rem Create the tablespace for temporary segments
rem ===============================================================
datafile '/usr5/ORACLE/OVER/temp_a.dbf' size 10m reuse
def        minextents    1
          maxextents  121
          pctincrease 0);

rem
r==================================

rem Create the tablespace for the tools tables
rem ====================================================================
rem
create tablespace tools
datafile '/usr5/ORACLE/OVER/tools_a.dbf' size 10m reuse; rem
rem
rem
rem ====================================================================
rem Create the tablespaces for the rollback segments rem NOTE: Rollback segment TEMP is in tablespace SYSTEM. rem

e 10m reuse
default storage
         (initial     10k
          next        10k
          minextents    1
          maxextents  121
          pctincrease 0);

rem
rem
create tablespace rollback2
datafile '/usr5/ORACLE/OVER/rollback2_a.dbf' size 10m reuse default storage
         (initial     10k
          next        10k
          minextents    1
          maxextents  121
          pctincrease 0);

rem
rem
rem ====================================================================
rem Create the rollback segments, 2 of them. rem This database isn't going to be that big. rem

rem
create ro
tablespace rollback1
storage
         (initial     500k
          next        500k
          minextents   19
          maxextents  121
          optimal     null);

rem
rem
create rollback segment r02
tablespace rollback2
storage
         (initial     500k
          next        500k
          minextents   19
          maxextents  121
          optimal     null);

rem
rem
rem ====================================================================
rem Shutdown and restart which will activate the new rollback segments shutdown immediate
startup open OVER pfile=$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/initOVER.ora
rem =====================================================
alter user sys temporary tablespace temp ; alter
system default tablespace tools ;
rem
rem Create the DBA synonyms for user SYSTEM. rem NOTE: Don't know if I necessarily agree with this approach. rem

.

  Bob Manieri - Database Administration Consultant
                 Aston Brooke Corp, Plymouth Meeting, PA
                 Pager: 609-342-0314  FAX: 609-853-8050
  email : rmanieri_at_novalink.com
          It has been said that a DBA is a professional paranoid.
                    Just because you're paranoid,
             doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.