Re: Oracle and Visual C++

From: Billy Lau <kwlau_at_comp.hkbc.hk>
Date: 31 Dec 1993 03:01:30 GMT

Nilesh Sahita (scip3177_at_leonis.nus.sg) wrote:

: Hi,

: I am going to be developing a MIS system as part of my project.
: We have Oracle 6 running under DG/Unix and PCs are connected via TCP/IP
: to the DG system. We are thinking of using Visual C++ for developing the
: user interface on PC.

: My question is that has anyone tried doing this before? With
: ODBC? Do we need to have Oracle 7.0 for this? Is there any performance
: or other problem with this type of system? Should we must have VC++ 1.5?

: If you have experience/knowledge about using VC++ with Oracle, I
: would like share your experience.

: Thanks in advance.

: - Nilesh Sahita |
: Student, PG Dip S/w Engg | "There's enough for everyone's need,
: Institute of Systems Science | but not enough for everyone's greed"
: National University of Singapore | - Mahatma Gandh

Hi,

   I haven't use VC++ with Oracle but i have tried to use VB 3.0 Professional Edition to Access Oracle. What i need is TCP/IP and SQL TCP/IP for windows in order to setup the connection. So, I think you should check this first. In VB, it seems simple to access oracle through it's ODBC function. Also, Oracle 6.0 is enough for VB.

Billy Lau
kwlau_at_comp.hkbc.hk Received on Fri Dec 31 1993 - 04:01:30 CET

Original text of this message