Re: Oracle on the Macintosh

From: Steven L. Wertheim <stevew_at_ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Date: 29 Dec 1993 20:08:55 GMT

In article <1993Dec22.220644.5869_at_nezsdc.icl.co.nz> andrewb_at_nezsdc.icl.co.nz (Andrew Bevin) writes:

>Oracle New Zealand is unsure if Oracle is porting the V7 Database to the
>Mac OS. Apparently Oracle is porting the V7 Database to AUX, unfortunately
>my Quadra (a 660av) is one of the few that can't run AUX.
>
>Does anyone know what Oracles plans are regarding the Mac and Oracle's DB
>engine?

I would love to know this as well. As of last summer's Database World in Boston, there were no plans to port to Mac-System 7 according to the Oracle rep I spoke with. He thought that it was technically feasible to port it to system 7 at least on 68040 machines, althought the RAM/hard disk requirements might be large.

If this indeed is a marketing decision, I would like to put in my $.02 concerning the need. It is all well and good to say "Well it is best to use a separate Macintosh as an Oracle server anyway, so that machine may as well run AU/X and the clients can run Mac-System 7. For me, as an application developer, however, it is very important to be able to provide software that will run standalone on a single System 7 Mac as well as in client-server mode. It is also very helpful for demos, which incidentally, lead to sales. Since many of my potential customers are not able to dedicate a machine for an Oracle Server, or want to run their server under MacOS, I am forced to remain with Oracle6 and miss out on all the Oracle7 goodies. This is a shame.

Anybody at Oracle willing to comment?? Who at Oracle should we plead with/ annoy/ bribe?? ;-)

Steve Wertheim
Harvard Medical School Received on Wed Dec 29 1993 - 21:08:55 CET

Original text of this message