Oracle and TurboImage on HP3000

From: Tuukka Kirveskoski <tki_at_atk.tpo.fi>
Date: 4 Dec 1993 12:49:24 -0600

Operating system: HP-UX A.09.00 B
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]

Hi Oracle-people,

We are currently using TurboImage databases with Cognos Powerhouse 4GL on HP3000 MPE/ix platform.

As many other HP3000 customers, we are moving towards mixed platform environment.

We have OracleV.6 running on HP9000 hp/ux. Because of OLTP performance and security reasons we like to continue with HP3000/Powerhouse/Turbo-  environment. Despite of this, I'm very interested in to know what kind of possibilites I have to cross-use these two environments.

I have heard that if I want to connect the Oracle on HP9000 to TurboImage databases on HP3000, I need

  • SQL*Net on each machine
  • SQL*Connect to TurboImage (read-only!)
  • full installation of Oracle RDBMS on HP3000

and these take a lot of money. Why is the RDBMS needed on HP3000? Any less expensive way of doing that? Is it a common solution to have Oracle database on HP3000 mpe/ix? Have anyone of you experiences with that?

What kind of alternatives I have, if I do on the contrary: to use Oracle database on HP9000 from HP3000 (Powerhouse)? Cognos Inc, will release Oracle support into Powerhouse 4GL next year but if I understood it correct, it means Powerhouse on unix -platform. I'm not sure yet, if Cognos' new Axiant client/server solution will provide me the joint use of Oracle database and TurboImage any other way than from Windows-clients viewpoint.

This is not a hot problem but I would be pleased if I could get some viewpoints from you. Just curious :-)

--
Tuukka Kirveskoski, systems analyst             _/_/_/  _/  it
Tampere Telephone Company, Tampere, FINLAND    _/_/_/  _/  can