Pop-up List of Values defaults

From: Peter A. Grant <grant_at_erich.triumf.ca>
Date: 30 Nov 1993 13:49 PST

I've been madly tidying a number of our applications and one of the things that people run into all of the time is just hitting return when the pop-up List of Values is displayed. Now, I know they should be just hitting Cancel, but they hit return to go from field to field before running into LOV pop-ups.

I don't see how to control this since I'm using the package List_Values, unless I write my own version with plain old pop-up windows.

Since it always takes you to the first item, perhaps I could do something really ugly like change the order of the LOV SQL text, but that may well not be possible even.

I kinda think that List_Values should take additional parameters. Restrict is almost what I want, except that if the value is already there and matches what's in the query, then the list isn't shown - the value is simply returned. If there were a Default keyword which would use the current value of the field as the default but show the entire list, then we'd be happy?

Others run into this? What have you done?

I'm going to give a talk at our local user group meeting on December 14th demonstrating a whole herd of things that I've cleaned up to make things easier for the users. The 1993 IOUG Utilities Disk LNGFLD was a great in dealing with long test fields (although there is a minor programming error in the sample). I will write something for our newsletter, and I'll post it here next month.

grant_at_triumf.ca         //     //    //     //    //    //  ///  ///  //
                                               Canada's National Meson Facility
__________________________________________ _        Vancouver, British Columbia

             Communications Officer, Vancouver Oracle Users Group