Oracle audit capabilities

From: Mark.Lawrence <mark_at_drd.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1993 21:53:40 GMT

Hey all,

I'm doing some preparatory design work on an application that will require maintaining an audit trail of who does what. With the dbms I'm most familiar with (Sybase), all that work has to be done by the application as the transaction log that Sybase maintains is really only good for recovery (rolling transactions forward from restored database), not for printing out reports like 'Sam made a modification in table XYZ on 93/11/23 08:23 from host goober'. Although security (permissions granting and revoking for users and groups) seems to be common for SQL-supporting dbms, auditing features don't seem to be.

I'm interested in talking to somebody about what features, if any, Oracle provides for maintaining audit trails (this would be apart from any 4GL facilities; I'm talking about in the db engine itself).

Please e-mail me with your phone number, if you're willing to chat with me, and I'll call you on my dime (5 minutes, tops. I promise).

Thanks.

--
M. Edward Lawrence   lawrence_at_drd.com                     (918)743-3013
DRD Corp., 5506 South Lewis Ave., Tulsa, OK 74105         (918)745-9037 fax