Re: X/Open XA Standard and Oracle

From: Brandon Ausman <brandon_at_unislc.slc.unisys.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1993 22:43:23 GMT

Mark Richter (mrichter_at_oracle.uucp) wrote:

: In article <CGK5Fq.Hqr_at_undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca> dpbradsh_at_bluebox.uwaterloo.ca (Dexter P. Bradshaw [CS]) writes:
: >
: > Is there any release of Oracle that supports the X/Open XA DTP standard
: > for atomic commitment? If not, has anyone ever written one on top of
: > the 2PC commit interface provided by Oracle V7.0? Please reply to me
: > at my e-mail address or this newsgroup.
: >

Obviously, Mr. Richter knows little about XA DTP.   : Oracle7 supports XA.
 True, with XA Library - but it is only basic XA functionality. (See below)

  : Writing to our 2PC interface is easy. One command. "COMMIT".  There is a BIG difference between anyone's 2PC and 2PC with XA

Oracle XA Library (as of 7.0.13) does not support the following:

  • Dynamic registration
  • Asynchronous XA calls

I've enountered real world applications where both of these were essential or would be very helpful. Too bad, maybe we'll see it some day. Currently, however, Oracle is too busy trying to convince customers they don't need TP monitors. Perhaps if they'd hop on the bandwagon rather than try to be everything to everyone....

(Above statements not intended to offend Oracle XA people...we all do what  management says....)

--
brandon

Brandon Ausman
Open/OLTP
Unisys, Salt Lake City

***  The prior comments are not the official position of Unisys, Novell-USL or
***  any of their clients, just my version of how the world works...

: Mark D. Richter, Sr. Director Development +1.415.506.4852
: Oracle Corporation, Desktop Products Division Fax +1.415.506.7225
: 500 Oracle Parkway, Box 659409 Redwood Shores, CA 94065
: Internet:mrichter_at_us.oracle.com CompuServe:70400,3514