Re: Graphical Presentation Tools needed

From: John Bornholt <bornholt_at_isluk.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1993 18:43:02 +0000

In article <1993Oct26.110029.23549_at_news.cs.tut.fi> l64428_at_cs.tut.fi writes:

>GRAPHICAL PRESENTATION TOOLS NEEDED
>------------------------------------
>
>We have an Oracle database, which contains about 1G measurement
>results. Every result row has time as one key. We are working in
>HP's unix/X/Motif -environment.
>
>We would like to have an interactive user application to
>present these results in graphical form. 3D- and surface chart types and
>ease of the database query are preferable features.
>
>Do you know any suitable applications ?
>
>We have already evaluated
>Oracle Graphics
>- No 3D charts
>- Developing advanced interactive applications with Graphics
> looks hopeless.
>
>SAS
>- Too closed environment.
>
>WingZ
>- No Oracle interface.
>

>Another possibility is to develop the query part by ourselves
>and buy a widget to draw the charts.
>
>We have already evaluted XRT, which looks very good to me. Feedback
>and other advanced features are supported. Changes to the charts are
>made via resources. No stupid 'clever' macro languages with heavy
>maintenance overload are needed.
>
>Are you aware of any graphical widget products that are
>worth of considering ?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Timo-Pekka Leinonen
>email l64428_at_cs.tut.fi
>--

Grafsman, a graphing utility for Unix and other environments, may do most if not all of what you want. It can either be used as a query tool /front end to obtain data from Oracle and graph it, or its runtime can be built right into applications to produce graphs as and when the developer wants them. It does not do surface plots or have feedback at present, but just about everything else.

It runs on anything from a VT100 to an X or MS windows terminal and supports printers from dot matrix through to colour postscript. It can be run interactively and in batch mode to produce standard reports.

Mail me if you want to know more.

 John Bornholt
 bornholt_at_isluk.demon.co.uk Received on Mon Nov 08 1993 - 19:43:02 CET

Original text of this message