ODBC Access from VB3

From: David I. Laudicina <dil.admin_at_mhs.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1993 09:57:41

I have been experimenting with ODBC access thru VB3.0 to a Sybase SQL server DB. I am curious about just how this works. Does an SQL request to a table on the server do any filtering on the server or does it pass the whole table down and let VB do it locally. I understand you can force the request to happen on the server with SQL_PASSTHROUGH but it seems highly inefficient if not using SQL_PASSRHROUGH that no filtering would be done on the server. What is the distribution of work for an SQL request issued from VB using ODBC to a DB server such as SQL Server or Oracle for both SQL_PASSTHROUGH on and SQL_PASSTHROUGH off?
Thx Dave L Received on Mon Nov 01 1993 - 09:57:41 CET

Original text of this message