Is there an X interface application to Oracle?

From: John M. Hess <jhess_at_eng.auburn.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1993 03:09:11 GMT

Hi,

I am a senior in computer engineering at Auburn University. As our senior design project, 4 of us have been assigned the task of designing and implementing GUI to our Oracle 6 system via X-windows. We know we have the various toolkits needed to do this but are wondering if we are re-inventing the wheel. Surely someone else has developed such a thing.

Our system is a local network of Sun Sparcstations running SunOS 4.??, 5.??, Solaris, various versions of BSD, etc. We really don't want to take on such a large project only to find out down the road that it's already been done.

What the interface should do is replace our current text-oriented interface that requires all the usual cumbersome commands to be typed in in order to do standard database administration (i.e. creating tables, defining/changing constraints, queries, removing columns, etc., adding/editing rows, etc.) And of course, it should do it all via a GUI. The primary intended users are computer science and engineering students in a 400 level database class. I'm sure there are many others though.

We don't care if it's proprietary software or public domain. Of course, something available via ftp would be great. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John Hess
jhess_at_eng.auburn.edu Received on Thu Oct 14 1993 - 04:09:11 CET

Original text of this message