ORACLE7 statistics on Netware 4.01 vs. Netware 3.11

From: BILL KERNAN <kernanb_at_redbaron.wosc.osshe.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 15:28:02 GMT

Configuration:

	Both Netware servers are 486/50 with equivalent disk drives.
	Both ORACLE init.ora files are the same. Tablespaces are the same on
	both instances of the database.
	The differences: One server is running Netware 4.01 and
	the other is running 3.11.  The 4.01 server is dedicated to ORACLE,
	the 3.11 server has about 50 Netware user.  During testing I was the
	only user attached to the 4.01 server, about 20 netware users were
	attached to the 3.11 server.

	I am running ORACLE 7.0.12

	I put a table with 42000 row of data into each database.

	The first query was:
		select count(*)
		from tbrmisd;

	The results:  (average of the query run 5 times on each server)
		On Netware 4.01 -- 18.34 seconds
		On Netware 3.11 --  4.33 seconds

	The second query was:
		select count(*)
 		from tbrmisd
		where tbrmisd_pay_detail_code = 'CASH';

	The results:  (average of the query run 5 times on each server)
		On Netware 4.01 -- 29.6 seconds
		On Netware 3.11 --  5.11 seconds

I also put a second instance of ORACLE on the server running Netware 4.01 in an attempt to increase performance. I doubled the SGA and spanned the tablespaces across multiple disk. The performance increased by about 7%.

What's going on here? I'm considering sending back my 4.01 for 3.12. Am I missing some tuneing issue with Netware 4.01?

Any help would be appreciated Received on Wed Oct 13 1993 - 16:28:02 CET

Original text of this message