Can SecurId be used to protect client-server TCP/IP connections?

From: Karel Sprenger <KS_at_ic.uva.nl>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1993 09:10:03 GMT

Hello,

At the University of Amsterdam the administrative systems are being equiped with the SecurId mechanism. When this is in effect, a userwho logs in on one of these systems has to supply a dynamic password generated by a small creditcard-size device. Currently, the SecurId software on the host is "attached" to the login procedure and the applications are accessed through PC's running PC/TCP's telnet program with vt220 terminal emulation.

We want to develop ORACLE-based client-server applications, but in that case the client-side SQL*Net communicates directly with the server-side SQL*Net and bypasses the 'normal' Unix login cum SecurId. Has anyone tried to protect such a 'backdoor' connection with something like SecurId?

As I'm sure this problem is not ORACLE specific, I took the liberty to address this message to several newsgroups.

Any help will be much appreciated. Please answer by direct mail. I'll put up a summary of the received responses.

Regards,
Karel

--

| Karel Sprenger, ORACLE coordinator | Email: ks_at_ic.uva.nl |
| Informatiseringscentrum | phone: +31-20-525 2302 |