Re: Oracle7

From: David Shapiro <dshapiro_at_apple.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1993 23:21:44 GMT

In article <1993Oct5.155209.13655_at_infoman.com>, infoman!laurar (Laura Roberts) wrote:
> Hey Guys,
> I'm using ORACLE7 on the Workgroup Server 950, and I must say -
> I'm not
> impressed. I'm a MacApp programmer with a SYBASE background, and I'd take
> SYBASE
> over ORACLE any day.
> SYBASE kicks ORACLEs butt when it comes to stored procedures.
> SYBASE is
> easier to use and more functional. We can't get a PL block to return
> multiple rows or
> create a temporary table in ORACLE.
> Laura S. Roberts

Regarding this last point, I have been unable to find any documentation which allows stored procedures to return multiple or any rows, or create temporary tables. Is this possible? Or to emulate the Sybase functionality, do we have to create the table before the call to the stored procedure? Also, in C, to return multiple rows from the stored procedure, do we have to use some funky return parameters to get a table selected out of the procedure (I noticed that if I tried to compile/run a procedure with a 'select * from xxx', I got an error)?

My 2 cents are that Sybase s.p.'s are much more flexible and easier to use, but I must admit that I like the global variables and packages available in Oracle 7. I've seen the workgroup server crank out some impressive numbers as far as tps benchmarks.

--
David Shapiro                   Internet:   dshapiro_at_apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc             AppleLink:   SHAPIRO.D