Re: Need help in Unix and Oracle's password!

From: Dave Mausner <dlm_at_dlogics.dlogics.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 12:50:17

jiun_at_wam.umd.edu (Jiun H. Lai) writes:
>Can anyone of you tell me how to use unix password as oracle password when
>I login to unix system so I can get into sqlplus or sqlmenu without typing
>the password twice?

In my opinion and experience, a preferable approach is to use operating system verification, so that you do not need to specify the oracle password at all.

for each unix username X, create oracle username OPS$X with password Y. a good choice of Y is: VALUES 'X', for example:

        grant connect to OPS$X identified by values 'X';

to signon to sqlplus, use the form:

        sqlplus /
oracle signs you on as yourself, assuming that you are acceptable to unix. nobody else can sign on as user OPS$X because the password Y is un-enterable.

--
Dave Mausner / Sr Consultant / Datalogics division of Frame Technology Inc