Re: Fragmentation question

From: J.Plewe <plewe_at_dl.mpi-dortmund.mpg.de>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1993 07:38:09 GMT

JC Lachapelle (adga_at_hq.crad.dnd.ca) wrote:
: How could I check for fragmentation in my database ?
: Performance is affected by fragmentation but is there a way to determine how
: much fragmentation ?

One type of fragmentation is using too much extents for an object. You can get information about that using the following script with SQL*plus. '&1' is the name of your object (table, index,...)

Hope that helps. Ten or more extents per object should make you increase your storage parameters INITIAL and NEXT.

  • Joerg Plewe

File: extents.sql

set echo off
verify off
column extent_id format 99

set termout on
select segment_type, extent_id, bytes, blocks from user_extents
where segment_name = upper('&1')
/
verify on Received on Thu Sep 23 1993 - 09:38:09 CEST

Original text of this message