Re: Large databases

From: David Crowson <zdxc0d_at_amoco.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1993 04:45:29 CDT

In article 77l_at_infochi.com, rfinkel_at_infochi.com (Richard Finkelstein) writes:
-->Keith Fulton (kfulton_at_mgrm.com) wrote:
-->: I've got a friend thinking about downsizing an enormous
-->: application from a 3090 to a Unix box, and he's thinking
-->: about using Oracle. I want to get y'all's reaction to
-->: this.
[stuff deleted]
-->It is difficult to provide an opinion without more information, but I can
-->say that generally that I have not seen many cases of large databases
-->being moved to Unix machines. This database seems to be in the
-->_exceptionally_ large category which should raise some red flags. I would
-->advise the customer to go back to the sales representative who said "no
-->problem" and ask for references that have implemented a database of
-->approximately the same: size, type of transactions and queries,
-->transaction volumes, and response times. My guess that the sales person
-->will come back with none. This does not mean that no one has tried, but
-->more probably many customers have tried and failed. It is possible for
-->this particular project to suceed but it should be acknowledged up front
-->that it will be a ground-breaking project with lots of risks. Expect to
-->spend alot of time and money on the conversion - probably double your best
-->estimates.
-

Well I for one tend to disagree. I have worked for Oracle in the past and have seen _many_ apps. moved to Unix with Oracle. Yes there are performance issues , but nothing a good DBA shouldn't be able to handle.

We are currently running on a large Sun box with Unix and Oracle 6 (7 later) and have currently around 50 Gigabytes with No Problems =%^) (that includes some _very_ large tables.e.g. We have one Index that is 1.4 Gbytes)

---

David Crowson          | "Rude alert! Rude alert! An electrical fire
DBA (ORACLE V.4,5,6,7) | has knocked out my voice-recognition unicycle! Many
Amoco Exploration      | Wurlitzers are missing from my database! Abandon shop!
Ealing, London         | This is not a daffodil! Repeat: This is not a daffodil!"
dcrowson_at_amoco.com     | - Holly (Ship's computer on Red Dwarf)
"My views not Amoex's" |               =%^)