ReportWriter or SQL*Plus

From: mike sullivan <sullivan_at_sytex.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1993 16:36:34 GMT

I'm looking for suggestions to handle the following:

Environment: ISC Unix 3.2 v3.0

             Oracle RDBMS 6.0.36
             SQL*Plus 3.0.12
             SQL*ReportWriter 1.1.14

I've got a Forms3.0 (3.0.16) application running that lets user mark whichever records they like to then save them to a text file. What I'd like to do is save those records in a very readable format in the text file. I'd like to save the records, either while the forms application is still running (how I do it now w/ SQL*Plus) or upon form exit (also acceptable). I'd like to use SQL*ReportWriter since that's what it's there for, but it doesn't seem to have a NO_SCREEN option like Plus does, so the screen goes blank and I get prompted to hit a CR to return to the forms application (I use the forms HOST command w/ the paramform=n and batch=y option set in RW so to run in in non-interactive mode). I know I can use Plus to format a report, but it doesn't seem to let me make it look as nice (each record has about 13 fields and dont fit the nice column format - I've got to put 3 field on each line and I want the field name to the left of the value).

The only option I see now is to run the report w/ RW when I exit the form and somehow figure out how to avoid the "hit CR" message in my OS. Any other suggestions?

---
sullivan_at_sytex.com (mike sullivan)
Access <=> Internet BBS, a public access internet site
Sytex Communications, Arlington VA, 1-703-528-4380