<None>

From: <**>
Date: 18 Sep 93 12:21:04 CST

        comp.databases.informix
Subject: DTP and RDBMS over routed networks. Keywords: Distributed Transaction Processing, Class of Service, Quality of

        Service, Routed Networks, TCP/IP, APPN, OSI TP4, RDA, DTP, Client-Server Sender: ldr_at_VeriTech.COM
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1993 15:15:10 GMT

I'm interested to what extent and how RDBMS and tools are being used over routed networks to do distributed transaction processing (DTP). Questions that I think are relevant include:

Are there more than terminal sessions (Telnet, VT) being used over routed networks in TP (transaction processing) applications?

Is the client displaced from the server over a routed network?

Are two or more databases, displaced from each other over a routed network, contributing to the same transaction processing application? Or, are there just mass background database updates being done?

What is the protocol suite?

What is the routing protocol? Whose router is being used?

If the network is TCP/IP-based, how do you ensure that the TP application has first use of the bandwidth? Or, is this not a problem? Why?

What question didn't I ask that I should have asked?

If you'll respond my email, I'll summarize, here.

Regards,

Lee

--
                  <> Lee D. Rothstein <> LDR_at_VeriTech.com <>

<> VeriTech <> 7 Merrymeeting Drive <> Merrimack, NH 03054-2934 <>
<> 603-424-2900 <> Fax: 603-424-8549 <> <> Information Technology Verification & Leadership <>