NLS And Character Sets

From: Ron Olshavsky <rono_at_clark.net>
Date: 15 Sep 1993 17:59:02 GMT

Hey Net*Folk,

   Does anyone have a list of what charcter sets are availble for the NLS functionality, and what languages are availble to these charcter sets?

   Apparently, the DB has to be created with one character set, and then the only ones that can be used with NLS after that are 'sub-sets' of the initial charcter set. We have a task to support several languages and character sets, and recently discovered this tidbit of info in the Oracle-7 Server Admin guide, page C-2 par. 2:

"If all client applications use the same charcter set, then this is the normal choice for the database character set. When client applications use different character sets, the database character set should be a superset (or equivalent) of all the client character sets."

Clear as mud :)

Thanks
Ron

---

				     ,,,
				    (o o)

| | It's Mr. Death or something. |
| Ron A. Olshavsky - rono_at_clark.net | He's Come about the Reaping, |
| | I dont think we need any... MP:MOL |