ORACLE V6 Grants

From: Andrew Jones (lrpr_at_unb.ca) <LRPR_at_UNB.CA>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1993 16:04:37 GMT

   We are currently designing a database for a client-server application with about 2,000 users (about 150 concurrent). There will be perhaps a dozen tables in our application which will have different permits based on the user's role. Thus, we'll have about 12 x 2,000 permission entries in the system tables, excluding those which grant permissions to "PUBLIC". Does anyone have a feel for what kind of performance overhead we're talking about here? Is this the kind of thing which can bring a system to a screeching halt? I know that's a difficult question to answer without knowing more about application/machine performance, but I'd appreiate anyone's reponses based on a gut feel. Thanks in advance. Andrw Jones, NB GIC.   Andrew Jones (LRPR_at_UNB.CA) "##include <standard disclaimer>"

| "Give up, Earthlings! Your superior |
| intelligence is no match for our puny |
| weapons!" |
| (The Simpsons' Halloween II Aliens) |