Re: Starting Oracle7 and TCP/IP on AIX

From: John Petrone <jpetrone_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1993 22:14:25 GMT

In article <trapacCD1uFq.6nw_at_netcom.com> trapac_at_netcom.com (Transpacific Container) writes:
>I've been trying to get Oracle 7 and the TCP/IP SQL net to startup automaticallyon our RS/6000. The commands I am using are:
> dbstart
> tcpctl start
>By modifying /etc/inittab with the following commands, the database starts fine but the TCP/IP server fails to operate properly.
> oradb:2:wait:su oracle -c dbstart
> oratcp:2:wait:su oracle -c tcpctl start
>The manuals offer the following, but this does not work either.
> oratcp:2:wait:su oracle -c /u/oracle/bin/orasrv
>"oracle" is the dba profile and "/u/oracle" is the home directory.
>Does anyone know a way that works that will start the TCP/IP server?
>
>Thanks,
>Keith Carpenter
>TraPac
>(310) 513-7414 or trapac_at_netcom.com

Try:

        oratcp:2:wait:su - oracle -c "tcpctl start"

When you pass a command line of more than one word to su -c, the line should be contained in double quotes. Also, su -c alone does not load your .profile (or .cshrc/.login). Adding the additional "-" will do this.

Another approach might be inserting these commands in an rc file, and setting up the environment properly just before the call. It would probably be easier to debug, in any event.

John Petrone Oracle Consulting
jpetrone_at_us.oracle.com

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone, and in no way reflect those of my employer. Received on Thu Sep 09 1993 - 00:14:25 CEST

Original text of this message