"Dan's Oracle7 Guide" -- FAQ --

From: Daniel B. Bikle <dbikle_at_alumni.cco.caltech.edu>
Date: 07 Sep 1993 07:49:12 GMT

FAQ Sept 7 1993
===
Frequently Asked Questions about "Dan's Oracle7 Guide"

What is "Dan's Oracle7 Guide"?
-It is a collection of UNIX files and directories. The files have been
divided into four categories:

	-Text files full of technical writing
	-Demonstration Scripts
	-Output from Demonstration Scripts
	-Temp files created by the Demonstration Scripts
	(In a Production environment, temp files are usually removed
	after serving their purpose. They have been included in the
	guide as an aid to understanding how the Demonstration
	Scripts work.)

Where can I get a copy of "Dan's Oracle7 Guide"?
-A public domain version of the guide is available to people who send a
request to the following email address:

        dbikle_at_alumni.caltech.edu

or snail mail:

        Dan Bikle, P.O. BOX 'D' MENLO PARK CA 94026

What is the interest level in "Dan's Oracle7 Guide"?
-Since posting a few files to comp.databases.oracle I've received over
200 pieces of email.

What is the format of "Dan's Oracle7 Guide"?
-Current format is UNIX shell archive. You will find the
following instructions in the shell archive when you receive it in your email box:

        # just name this file arch.sh then make it executable and run it

-An MS-DOS floppy with the shell archive on it might be another
suitable format. The idea behind the floppy is a person could read the floppy into a PC, copy the shell archive to a UNIX box and unpack it. The floppy format will be ready about mid October.

-Another probable format will be 8mm dat tape maybe available mid October.

When will "Dan's Oracle7 Guide" be ready ?
-A beta version (email delivery only) will be ready Oct 4 1993.

How much does "Dan's Oracle7 Guide" cost?
-The public domain, email, beta version is free.
If you have an extra $20, please send it to my favorite charity: Amnesty International 322 8th ave. ny NY usa 10001.

-Other formats (floppy, tape, hardcopy) will be $60 payable to
Dan Bikle. Since the guide is public domain, you should be able to get it for much cheaper than $60 from someone besides me.

Will "Dan's Oracle7 Guide" be published as a book?
-Yes, once the guide is in shape to provide a powerful sales pitch,
I will approach a publisher. First on my list will be O'Reilly & Associates. If they turn me down, I will try some of the less prestigious companies. If still no luck, I have an ace in the hole: Bikle International Publishing Incorporated. This publisher operates out of an obscure P.O. Box in Menlo Park CA. They specialize in trash novels and men's magazines.

Will "Dan's Oracle7 Guide" be published as a piece of affordable commercial software?
-Yes, once the guide is in shape to provide a powerful sales pitch, I
will approach a publisher. First on my list will be Oracle Corp. If they turn me down, I will try Qualix, or Siren, or Bikle Software. Once that happens, however, I will no longer publicize the guide in comp.databases.oracle.

Why has Dan Bikle poured hundreds of hours of effort into "Dan's Oracle7 Guide"?
-Independent Oracle Consulting is a competitive business. This guide
will help Dan's Consulting/Training business grow. Also, I like to think of my self as the type of person who helps other people. But, like you, I need to buy groceries.

How is "Dan's Oracle7 Guide" organized?
-A listing is provided below:

ava2-dan-% ls

./		Intro		backup/		mts_setup/	security/
../		NO_WARRANTY	bugsfound	postings/	startups/
AUTHOR		TRADEMARKS	dbs_triggers/	pro_c/		v6to_o7/
Acknowledgments	Todo		devl_at_		procedures/
COPYING		abbr		dist_dbs/	profiles/
COPYRIGHT	analyze/	email.o7_at_	recovery/
FAQ		auditing/	init_params/	ref_integ/
ava2-dan-% du
246	./v6to_o7
250	./mts_setup
1	./security
1	./dist_dbs
1	./ref_integ
64	./dbs_triggers
2	./backup
1	./recovery
18	./startups
6	./init_params
1	./auditing
41	./profiles
30	./analyze
54	./pro_c
114	./procedures
43	./postings
897	.

ava2-dan-%

What is said in the introduction to "Dan's Oracle7 Guide"?

Intro

This guide is intended to be an enhancement to the documentation supplied by Oracle Corporation.

The thrust of the guide is to provide two types of information:

	-Useful examples
	-Expansion and discussion of ideas presented by the
	Oracle documentation

For example, when the Oracle DBA Guide covers the use of Profiles (database objects used to limit the usage of resources by users) it displays examples of how to create and assign profiles. And it provides a paragraph explaining that the DBA needs to query the Audit Trail and SQLDBA Monitor to obtain information on current resource usage. This guide goes one step further; it shows exact scripts to run against the Audit Trail and dynamic performance tables which return information about the current state of resource usage. When the Oracle DBA Guide covers the COMPOSITE_LIMIT it only describes how to set its value. This guide provides a thinking process which the DBA uses to set the COMPOSITE_LIMIT to an appropriate value.

-Dan

Daniel B. Bikle
dbikle_at_alumni.caltech.edu
415/854-9542