Multiple code streams: Ingres & Oracle

From: Don Wright <scouse_at_bnr.ca>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1993 18:56:25 GMT

    Within our organization, we view database neutrality and application portability as mandatory requirements in the development of corporate database applications. As such, the "clients" are all written in C/Motif with embedded SQL, or we use 3rd party front-ends that can connect to several databases. One of our lead application groups is building an application that must run against an Ingres 6.4 and an Oracle 7 server. This application is currently mainframe-based using IBM SQL/DS 2.2 on VM/HPO and VM/ESA and is being ported to UNIX. The client is C/Motif with embedded SQL.

    I have been asked to assess the support issues involved in the generation and maintenance of 2 streams of SQL-specific code (in excess of 100,000 lines of code are involved). Of course, 2 soon becomes 2*n where n is the number of different software releases of the application. The objective would be to minimize both the amount of vendor-specific code and also the support overhead.

    I need to understand the following

  • To what extent do Ingres and Oracle conform to the SQL89 or SQL92 standards
  • Do the standards attempt to enforce compliance at the syntax level or at the underlying functional level
  • What is common to Ingres' and Oracle's implementation of those standards, and what is not.
  • Can I code, say, an Ingres-based version of the application and apply some sort of conversion filter to automatically generate an Oracle-based version of the source file. If so, is such a tool already available
  • Is "cpp" before the SQL pre-processing a viable option
  • Are the DBA tools for checkpointing, unloading etc. reasonably similar in their invocation or are wrapper scripts required
  • What else should I be considering

    If anyone else has already faced this dilemma I would appreciate the benefit of your experience.

    Thanks in advance

         diw

Don Wright
Bell-Northern Research
email: scouse_at_bnr.ca Received on Wed Sep 01 1993 - 20:56:25 CEST

Original text of this message