Need Help! with Oracle and CEMM (Compaq)

From: Robert Steven Kadish <kadisr_at_alum01.its.rpi.edu>
Date: 31 Aug 1993 12:54:51 GMT

My boss and I recently installled PC Anywhere on a Compaq Deskpro 386/25 on which Oracle is usually running. Since AWHOST (the host program of PC Anywhere) is TSR, it ended up hogging too much memory, and we couldn't use some of the other necessary utilities of the system.

At this point, there was no memory manager except HIMEM.EXE running on the system, so the
upper memory was not being used. We figured that if we used the upper memory for PC Anywhere and some other TSR programs, we'd free up enough conventional memory to run the system. To this end, I configured CEMM to give the maximum amount of extended memory (Oracle needs a lot) and a large chunk of upper memory, but the minimum amount of expanded memory. I changed the Oracle MACHTYPE environment variable to MACHTYPE=J.

This configuratin give me all the memory I needed, but now Oracle will not load. When I run it, SQLPME loads into memory, but then Oracle bottoms out with a strange error message which only consists of a hex number. CEMM is one of the three extended memory managers which the Oracle manual says it is specified to work with, so I cannot find why it will not run.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks in advance, I hope someone can solve this problem.

--
R. Steven Kadish

kadisr_at_rpi.edu
pippin_at_hudlink.hoboken.nj.us