KEY-UP/KEY-DOWN triggers in Forms 3.0

From: <hazledine_at_embl-heidelberg.de>
Date: 30 Aug 93 20:52:30 +0100

We're thinking about using UP/DOWN triggers in SQL*Forms V3.0 to replicate the effect of PRVREC/NXTREC triggers. Each form would have one form-level KEY-UP trigger containing the single line:

        do_key('previous_record');

and one form-level KEY-DOWN trigger containing the single line:

        do_key('next_record');

Some tests I have done seem to indicate that this is all that's needed. Even in forms with PRVREC/NXTREC triggers at various levels (i.e., form-level, block-level and field-level), the trigger appropriate to the cursor's location is fired when the [Up] or [Down] keys are pressed.

Yet I notice that when IAC is run with the -t option, to automatically add UP/DOWN triggers whenever PRVREC/NXTREC triggers are present, it adds one UP trigger for each PRVREC trigger and one DOWN trigger for each NXTREC trigger, even though a single pair of UP/DOWN triggers at form-level would seem to suffice.

Can anyone (especially from Oracle Corp.) tell me if I've missed something? Are there situations where a single pair of form-level UP/DOWN triggers won't have the effect of making the [Up]/[Down] keys behave just like the [Previous Record]/[Next Record] keys?

David Hazledine                                                EMBL Data Library
Database Administrator                                                PF 10.2209
EMBL Data Library                                       6900 Heidelberg, Germany

Internet: Hazledine_at_EMBL-Heidelberg.DE