MTS Description from "Dan's Oracle7 Guide"

From: Daniel B. Bikle <dbikle_at_alumni.cco.caltech.edu>
Date: 28 Aug 1993 20:03:37 GMT

The following discussion is an excerpt from "Dan's Oracle7 Guide".

While the guide could not be described as a great literary work, it might prove useful to those DBA's and Application Developers who work with Oracle7.

The guide will be finished sometime in October. If you want a copy, I'll put you on my mailing list.

All of the trademarks mentioned in this excerpt are owned by their respective owners.

Of course, everything I create has no warranty. If my software or ideas cause you problems, feel free to send me hate mail.

-Dan

Daniel B. Bikle
dbikle_at_alumni.caltech.edu
415/854-9542

mts_description

This discussion is a simplistic description of the ORACLE7 Multi Threaded Server (MTS).

The description starts with the Front-end process (sqlplus, for example). A Front-end process (running on the client machine) places a request for a Dispatcher on the network.

A Listener responds to the request by sending the address of a Dispatcher to the Front-end process. Both the Listener and Dispatcher are processes running on the server machine.

The Front-end process uses the address to connect to the Dispatcher.

Once they are connected, the Front-end process sends requests to the Dispatcher which then puts them in a single Request-queue. A server process picks requests off of the Request-queue, interacts with the buffer cache and dbs files, and then places results in one of several Response-queues. Finally, the Dispatcher pulls completed requests off of one of the Response-queues and sends them to the Front-end process. Both the single Request-queue and the multiple Response-queues are memory structures which reside in the SGA.