Re: PL/SQL v. SQL*PLUS v. SQL*REPORTWRITER

From: <fgreene_at_hayes.com>
Date: 27 Aug 93 10:29:31 EDT

In article <25fvi5$ise_at_jac.nuo.dec.com>, secrist_at_kxovax.enet.dec.com (Strong datatypes for weak minds.) writes:
> What is the high-level difference between PL/SQL, SQL*PLUS, and
> SQL*REPORTWRITER ? SQL*PLUS seems like it could be a pretty
> good reporter writer on its own from my cursory reading.

SQL*Plus allows for queries and output to a print file, but does NOT have any sophisticated programming logic, loop control, etc.

PL/SQL has added programming logic needed to make it a full retrieval and manipulation language but, at least in the current version, does not have the ability to output directly to a print file. Typically, this means that if you are using PL/SQL to generate reports, you have to create (or have available) a work table to hold the formatted output and then run a separate SQL*Plus script to extract from the table into a print file. The language is very flexible in its utilization and ease of use, but the intermediate table requirement is a pain.

SQL*Reportwriter is fairly easy to utilize, but not nearly as flexible as PL/SQL. However, it DOES have the capability of direct output to a print file.

 | Frank Greene DELPHI SYSTEMS Inc    |          _/_/_/  _/_/_/             |
 | Telephone [615] 458-6032           |           _/_/    _/_/              |
 | Internet 74200.427_at_compuserve.com  |          _/_/    _/_/  _/_/_/       |
 | Compuserve 74200,427               |         _/_/    _/_/    _/_/        |
 | 324 Ootsima Way                    |        _/_/    _/_/    _/_/         |
 | Loudon, TN 37774                   |       _/_/_/  _/_/_/  _/_/_/        |
 |         Of course, any opinions or suggestions are strictly my own       |