Traversing a Tree Structure in Pro*C

From: Lyle D. Brooks <brooks_at_usiva.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1993 14:50:19 GMT

I'd like to know if anyone has had experience using Pro*C to recursively traverse a data structure (such as tree) in Oracle.

How do you approach this in Pro*C?? I tried using cursors, but you can't DECLARE/OPEN cursors recursively, or can you?

Given a table structure such as

SQL> desc TREE_DATA

 Name                            Null?    Type
 NODE_ID                         NOT NULL NUMBER(3)
 LEFT_NODE_ID                             NUMBER(3)
 RIGHT_NODE_ID                            NUMBER(3)
 NODE_DATA                                CHAR(30)

and a NODE_ID, how do you traverse the sub-tree for the given NODE_ID and print out the NODE_DATA of each node you visit?

Many thanks in advance!!

--
Lyle D. Brooks                     UUCP     : uunet!usinet!brooks
Universal Systems Incorporated     Internet : brooks_at_usiva.com