Oracle7 migration

From: Cynthia Mumford <cindy_at_dprmpt.UUCP>
Date: 26 Aug 93 19:24:27 GMT

I am currently wading through the Oracle7 documentation on the migrate utility. According to the manual, the migrate utility converts the data dictionary, the file headers in all the data files, the control files, and the rollback segments. Data blocks have the same format in Oracle7 as in Oracle Version 6. Several people who have already migrated have posted here that it has taken a loooooooooong time. What is it doing that should take so long? How can I possibly estimate the time that this will take in order to negotiate system down time to accomplish the upgrade? We are planning to test-convert a copy of our development system. Will I be able to make an estimate, based on the time it takes to migrate a 1G database, of the time that might be required for a 15G db?

  • Cindy Mumford (301) 622-0900 ext 304 *
  • Internet: cindy_at_dataprompt.com UUCP: ...!uunet!dprmpt!cindy *