Re: sqldba shutdown in oracle 6.0.36

From: Daniel B. Bikle <dbikle_at_cco.caltech.edu>
Date: 19 Aug 1993 05:01:00 GMT

mcitron_at_hsc.usc.edu (Mark Citron) writes:

>In 6.0.34 any person in the dba group could do a shutdown. Now in
>Oracle 6.0.36 it seems that root for instance must change to
>the dba group (by doing a "newgrp dba" or "sg -g dba") . We are
>running SCO 3.2v4

folks,

if memory serves me right root is the only user who needs to to do the newgrp. all other users just need to be in the group.

   Mark could you test this for me and drop me a note?

>This seems like a giant step backwards. Is this correct???

I read some where (USA Today maybe?) Oracle put this feature in on purpose to incrase security.

I consider it a small annoyance but not a giant step backwards.

just add a line of syntax to the backup script (or where ever else you do a shutdown).

-Dan

Daniel B. Bikle
Independent Oracle Consultant
dbikle_at_alumni.caltech.edu